Leading Independent Proxy Advisory Firm, ISS, Recommends that Cypress Semiconductor Stockholders Consent FOR Management's Proposal to Eliminate Cumulative Voting
The Company issued the following statement:
"We are pleased that ISS recognizes the immediate need to eliminate cumulative voting to bring equality to the voting process and to protect the best interests of all stockholders. We are successfully executing our Cypress 3.0 strategy to position the Company for its next wave of growth and we cannot allow our former CEO to stop our momentum by regaining boardroom influence to promote his personal agenda."
Cypress also noted that it began evaluating eliminating cumulative voting and adopting majority voting and proxy access prior to receiving the notice from
In making its recommendation, ISS notes the following1:
On Elimination of Cumulative Voting:
- "The number of companies with cumulative voting has markedly declined in recent years. According to ISS Analytics data, only 11 of the S&P500 companies, and 106 of the Russell 3000 companies currently have cumulative voting. Given the distinct advantage cumulative voting provides to dissidents, its use appears to be most appropriate in situations where there is a large, or controlling, shareholder."
- "…the current voting structure provides a distinct advantage to the dissident—who would be able to cumulate votes for his two nominees, thus increasing his probability of success..."
- "…the proposed change also appears to level a playing field that was already skewed, rather than simply tilt it in the board's favor."
(1) Source: Permission to quote from the ISS report was neither sought nor obtained.
On Decision to Adopt Proxy Access and Majority Voting:
- "…most unaffiliated shareholders stand to benefit more from the implementation of majority voting and proxy access than cumulative voting, which could disproportionately benefit a dissident shareholder."
Cypress urges stockholders to act promptly to sign and return the WHITE consent card today. Even if you return the GOLD consent card at any point, you can still vote using Cypress' WHITE consent card. If you have any questions about executing or delivering your WHITE consent card or require assistance, please contact our consent solicitor,
Founded in 1982, Cypress is a leader in advanced embedded system solutions for the world's most innovative automotive, industrial, home automation and appliances, consumer electronics and medical products. Cypress' programmable systems-on-chip, general-purpose microcontrollers, analog ICs, wireless and USB-based connectivity solutions and reliable, high-performance memories help engineers design differentiated products and get them to market first. Cypress is committed to providing customers with support and engineering resources that enable innovators and out-of-the-box thinkers to disrupt markets and create new product categories. To learn more, go to www.cypress.com.
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND WHERE TO FIND IT
The Company, its directors and certain of its executive officers and employees may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies from stockholders in connection with the Company's 2017 annual meeting of stockholders (the "2017 Annual Meeting").
The Company plans to file a proxy statement with the
Stockholders will be able to obtain, free of charge, copies of the 2017 Proxy Statement, any amendments or supplements thereto and any other documents (including the WHITE proxy card) when filed by the Company with the
Statements herein that are not historical facts and that refer to Cypress or its subsidiaries' plans and expectations for the future are forward-looking statements made pursuant to the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. We may use words such as "may," "should," "expect," "plan," "intend," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "predict," "potential," "future," "continue" or other wording indicating future results or expectations to identify such forward-looking statements that include, but are not limited to statements related to: our proposed governance changes, including changes regarding the removal of cumulative voting, the adoption of majority voting provisions and the adoption of proxy access provisions; our Cypress 3.0 strategy; the composition of our Board of Directors; our 2017 Annual Meeting; the Company's financial performance; our corporate governance
policies and practices; our plans to file certain materials with the
1Permission to quote from the ISS report was neither sought nor obtained.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/leading-independent-proxy-advisory-firm-iss-recommends-that-cypress-semiconductor-stockholders-consent-for-managements-proposal-to-eliminate-cumulative-voting-300423718.html
News Provided by Acquire Media